Sunday, April 25, 2004

License revoked?

Whew, my rotisserie league draft is finally over and my team's not half bad. It's not half good, either -- but there are enough big bats in the line-up that I ought to finish somewhere in the middle of the pack barring a total collapse of my pitching staff and/or too many injuries and/or rampant dump trades. Results were somewhat skewed because the draft occured three weeks into the season this year, though the ebb and flow of the rounds (some bargains in the beginning, when people were hesitant to spend money; no bargains in the middle; lots of $1 bargains at the end when people were rushing to put a cap on the 8+ hr waking nightmare) was consistent with years past. Two things I've noticed about my league (a 12 team, NL-only league, traditional rules): 1) Rookies tend to be overvalued and 2) pitching is way overinflated. The worst offender in the first category was $18 for Aaron Miles, though he plays in that thin Colorado mountain air and is off to a fast start. Most pitchers went for double their "book value," especially starters and a few premium relievers -- very hard to find bargains when Jose Acevedo went for $13 and none of the top starters in the field went for less than $20.

Which is how I ended up with -- yikes! -- Shawn Estes and Jason Marquis anchoring my staff for $1 ea. One (very dominant, I might add) school of thought in rotisserie strategy says that you shouldn't spend more than one-third of your budget (approximately $85) on pitching. My team's right there with $84 spent on pitching, but given league inflation, I think everyone else overshot that ratio...which will make it very hard to stay competitve in the pitching categories. Wow, the draft is a bear, though -- I spent eight hours at my computer IMing with my team partner who was handling it all real time. I got to spend all day in my boxer shorts listening to iTunes and I still felt completely fried.

Also, Barry Bonds set a league record by going for $50. Is he worth it? Look upon his slugging percentage ye mighty and despair.

No comments: